9A- Testing the Hypothesis


My issue was people have a general distaste in the modern media outlets, they see them as too biased to be accurate and too milquetoast to care about the content.
Of the five potential customers I interviewed for this assignment, these five should have this unmet need I identified but did not. These reasons mostly cycled around that they had no interest in the media, or they couldn’t understand when they read stories—especially concerning politics. I heard quotes such as “Like what is a Ponzi scheme” and “How was Trump acquitted I thought he was impeached” that made me cringe. These customers don’t currently have a news outlet they regularly consume and fit both the age range and education demographic but just don’t have any interest in the media—or simply cannot understand it. This need differs once I dive into the genre of the news. What kind of news would these people care about, and how do you cut it into pieces so small anyone can understand it? I believe the media is a public good, the people should be entitled to it. This need is similar to an educational endeavor that aims to increase civic literacy and engagement. These people are outside the boundaries because they aren’t invested in the media enough to understand how poorly executed it is. They simply do not care about the world around them. This is the why—because these individuals do not care or do not understand.

This content shows me that my opportunity is restrained so long as people don’t fully understand how important these issues are. They have to already be intellectually engaged in order to want to pursue alternatives. Maybe these people can be converted but at this point, I’m unsure if they actually lie outside of the boundary, or if they could be pulled back in.




Inside the boundary

Outside the boundary
Who is in
Young people, with a desire to learn
Who is not
Individuals who have no interest in current events
What they need
An alternative to media that isn’t just unbiased but also engaging enough and simplified so they enjoy and can consume the media.
What the need is not
The need is not so niche as to include just news for woman, or just news for business students.
Why the need exists
Failure of public education to create civic engagement and comprehension. Absence of curriculum that explains the importance of media and current events.
Alternative explanations
Average people simply don’t have an interest in current events, they aren’t so concerned with events outside their spheres of influence—this is a direct derivative of their job/education.


Comments

  1. Hey TY. I think you did a great job looking at the unique way. The failure of public education to build civic engagement as you mentioned is something I think I've been trying to raise. In addition, as you said, people are not interested in things at all. They only focus on things that are directly related to their lives or that they are willing to spend time on. This is not wrong. Because everyone has the right to choose their own interests. But i feel like it's a big part of the reason public education hasn't been able to build engagement with citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ty!
    I think this is a great business idea. I know a lot of people who don't understand what is going on in our world. Mainstream media makes it very difficult to understand and comprehend what is happening. Honestly, if I hadn't taken journalism classes, I don't think I would understand either. I also had to explain to a friend the difference between Trump being impeached and being removed from office. Having a platform for people to read about the pure facts, not biased toward one party or the other, is something that we all need. I don't think the need for this will ever dwindle. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts