7A- Testing the Hypothesis
The opportunity I’d like to pursue is media reform. The media is boring and biased
and this marginalized the new generation of tech-savvy and nonpartisan individuals.
The who is students, aged 15-24 without the competency to understand or enjoy
media the way it currently is. Then why is because in recent years, consumer distrust
in the media has increased exponentially, and young people still want to be
involved politically, but generally don’t like or understand the media as is.
The media is unable to effectively educate younger people about current events,
especially in an unbiased way. This is because the media has a series of classic
formalities they must implement, and also are under the ownership of larger
umbrella corporations with both political and business agendas, the incentive
for them to do the news the way they do is there.
Kyleigh Crowley
How would you describe yourself as a consumer of media?
I honestly don’t read the news that often, unless it's like on a topic
I want to or have to read for school.
What kind of news do you consume?
Like I said before, its mostly whatever topically or whatever I
need to learn about, a lot of the time instead of like clicking on a Wikipedia article
ill read a news article about something to learn about it, especially for my papers.
How often do you consume the news?
Not on a regular basis, its more of. Sporadic thing, I don’t read
the news unless I have a question or need to, so it's really irregular.
Do you like your current news provider?
I don’t actually have a “news provider” I mostly read whatever
keywords popup with what I search, so I don’t actually have a loyalty to anyone
I guess.
Why or why not?
Uhhhh why I don’t have loyalty to anyone? I haven’t been reading
the news long enough or frequently enough to know the difference between the
sources honestly so I guess that’s why.
Chris Carlson
How would you describe yourself as a consumer of media?
I would say I read the news pretty frequently, I’d call myself
an average consumer of media
What kind of news do you consume?
Well I read off like the apple news app, so I really just click
on whatever looks interesting except for when I'm investing in stocks, then its
business and politics news.
How often do you consume the news?
Almost every day, definitely weekly at least, really just depends
how busy I am or whats going on in the world.
Do you like your current news provider?
News provider? I read a lot of Fox because I side closer with
their views, but I don’t really “like it” I mean I like it because it resonates
with me but at the same time the bias is so clear to me. I'm well aware of it.
Why or why not?
Like I mentioned before the bias was so clear to me, I see it in
CNN too so I guess there's no way to avoid it and I should just pick whichever.
Chandler McGlothin
How would you describe yourself as a consumer of media?
I don’t ever read the news bro unless it's assigned honestly.
What kind of news do you consume?
When I read it? It depends on the assignment. You need to understand
when I say I don’t read the news I NEVER read the news, unless I have to.
Actually, I take that back, ill read movie reviews and stuff like that. I don’t know
if you consider that news but ill read entertainment stuff.
How often do you consume the news?
As often as schools require me too, unless its entertainment
news, I read it with interest periodically.
Do you like your current news provider?
Providers? I'm not picky, I think they’re all reliable enough to
use as a source for a paper or whatever. But I kinda like fox more I think,
they seem less biased to me.
Why or why not?
I don’t really read news enough to have a commitment to anyone
source, so I guess that’s why?
Tina Livezey
How would you describe yourself as a consumer of media?
I watch the news at home every day, so a daily consumer.
What kind of news do you consume?
I watch my local fox 13 channel, so its local news mostly but
mixed with national and international stuff.
How often do you consume the news?
Every day at 6pm.
Do you like your current news provider?
Yeah, I'm pretty content. They do a lot of interest stories in my
area and I really like that im able to access local news like that.
Why or why not?
Big emphasis on the local part. I can't get that anywhere else
with the same quality as I do Fox 13 so that’s why I watch it.
Abby Wilson
How would you describe yourself as a consumer of media?
I read the news pretty often, I need to for political science so
I read a lot of news all the time
What kind of news do you consume?
Mostly national news, political stuff. I also have to read a lot
of business news because of politics and business run tangent to each other
How often do you consume the news?
Every day, multiple times a day.
Do you like your current news provider?
My current provider is a variety of sources. I read CNN, Fox, and
Politico, so I get a wide variety. I like them though.
Why or why not?
I like altogether, but not individually. You can never read
just one source if you want the full picture but I think reading all 3 gives me
a round view of what’s happening.
5)
Based on these interviews, I realize people have no idea what they’re
doing with the media. Most of my interviewees were 18-19 and they mostly didn’t
have loyalties. They stressed that they read a wide variety of news- most
popular was business or political news. I still feel confident this opportunity
exists, but still don’t know if I’ve enough perspectives to really understand
all the issues. I may have a bias, but I think the biggest issue with the media
is that its mundane and partisan, and this dissuades younger people from reading
it- they don’t understand it, they don’t like it, they don’t have time for it. Etc.
I think I need to conduct a longer larger survey with a large N value to get a
more accurate image of what the issue really is, but few people were truly
satisfied with their provider. The biggest take away is that no one is really
comfortable, and that matters a lot to me.
Hi Ty, I think I'm like most of the people you interview. I hardly watch the news. Unless my thesis requires it. Or when I happen to turn on the phone, their title content is very attractive to me. I think the news media is very much a consumption now. People only spend time on what they are willing or interested in. Of course, the poor quality of the content may be partly to blame.
ReplyDeleteHi Ty,
ReplyDeleteI don't watch or read the news much; I hear about major news by word of mouth or social media websites, so I agree with you that not very many people know what they're doing when it comes to reading/watching/consuming media. I also agree with you that the news can be boring. So many news articles are written in a way that can be hard to understand to people who aren't experts at the topic at hand, which I think turns many people off of reading news. I think it would be a great opportunity to attempt to get more people involved in consuming media.
Hi Ty,
ReplyDeleteI think I fall right in the middle of the people that you interviewed. I read the news often enough to keep up on the big things happening in our country and our world. When I do read the news I like to read from outlets that are on both sides. It's not surprising that American news networks can sway further to the right or the left, so reading from both allows me to get the hard facts and make up my own mind about the situation. Although it doesn't seem like young people would be appreciative of a new kind of news source, I think there's more than you think. Even if you don't have a lot of consumers, having a niche audience will allow a business to succeed.