Bug List


Bug List

1.     It bugs me that the media is so poorly executed, it seems like a lot of outlets are making news for a demographic, not the general public. A lot of people dislike the media because of this.

Why: This exists because the media has no incentive to be unbiased, I’m also not aware of any checks against bias outlets use.

2.     Ugly phone cases for iPhone products that can’t find a balance between protecting the device and looking sleek (i.e otterbox). I hate having a large case, but also want my device to be protected at the same time.

Why: This bug exists because there a tradeoff between protective and aesthetic, the material phone cases are made of (usually plastic) isn’t designed to really be protective.


3.     It bugs me there’s not a more objective rating system for colleges in the U.S.

Why: This exists because its hard to numerically account for certain factors (ex. Like how factors of prestige, alumni network, etc. play into the equation.


4.     I wish there was a more accurate statistical method for determining how likely a college application is to be accepted, without regard to the statement of purpose and EC, using only quantitively metrics (applicant pool size, GPA, Standardized test scores, program type etc.)  the current calculators from websites like niche and college-prep are so inaccurate and don’t have transparency with their variables.

Why: Truthfully, there's a lot of liability in trying to tell people (yes, no, maybe, etc) when it comes to something as high stakes as college admission

5.     College textbooks are too expensive at the University of Florida, and there’s no really accurate way to determine if I’m REALLY going to need the textbook or not.

Why: A lot of professors have incentives to say they YES 100% that a student needs a textbook, so whatever “fix” exists to this must not be evaluated by professors or university staff.

6.     I struggle to stay warm, but not be too warm when I sleep. My blankets can’t keep me warm without making me in the middle of the night.

Why: This exists because there's no cheap, mass-manufactured material that can act to do both.

7.     It bothers me that math classes in Little Hall use chalkboards, the school won’t pay to replace them because white boards for every classroom in the building would cost too much.

Why: This exists because the school is unwilling to pay the cost for new whiteboards, they cost too much to purchase and install when there's not a need. A possible fix is a film that rolls over the chalkboard that can be written on with an expo.

8.     I struggle with time management when classes are In session.

Why: This problem exists because I’ve no way method of prioritizing, and fail to stay focused.

9.     When Florida's weather is being bipolar, I struggle to dress to both be warm and cool when I need to be, this is the same problem as #6, but in a different place.

Why: This exists because there's no cheap, mass-manufactured material that can act to do both, or maybe I'm just bad at dressing.


10.  When I play poker with a rotating dealer we never get a good shuffle.

Why: I'm pretty sure this is a statistic thing, because the dealer rotates so do favorable cards, no matter how many times we shuffle we can't have a good deal.

11.  I wish there was an easier way to track my diet.

Why: This problem exists because my diet is really variable, I usually eat what’s convenient/sounds appealing, so its largely unpredictable.

12.  It bugs me that my pants don’t have large enough pockets for my phone, keys, wallet, airpods, etc.

Why: I have really no idea why pant companies don’t make pockets bigger, but the issue is mostly with shorts.

13.  I hate the clip on my pilot g-2 pens always breaks off so easy.

Why: This one's probably my fault, but there's definitively a design flaw with my pilot pens, because its mostly accidental.

14.  There's not enough study spaces at UF with outlets to charge devices, especially not ones that are open 24/7.

Why: I think this is an issue with the age of the university, I suppose the electrics infrastructure in a lot of areas haven’t been remodeled ever.

15.  College freshmen/young adult don’t have the education they need to succeed in the real world (how to do taxes, be financially literate, etc.)

Why: I'm going to blame the school system for this one, the priority of secondary education is college matriculation, the system doesn’t account for the majority of students who don’t go to college.

16.  I struggle to drink a healthy amount of water every day, even when I have access to plenty of water.

Why: Honestly, I don’t count or measure my intake, but I definitely drink water mostly exclusively in the morning.

17.  There's really not a lot of microwavable chicken meals sold at publix, I love eating chicken as a dinner, but don’t have the time to cook it.

Why: Real chicken, being a meat, is more of a “luxury” food item for me as a college student, its like wanting a discount filet mignon in my mind. You have to compromise on quality.

18.  I hate the process of having to get haircuts, I don’t like having to go to the barbershop, make appointments when the barber I want is available, etc. The process takes too much time.

Why: Not many startups are barber shops, there's a limited supply and increasing demand.

19.  I always have bags under my eyes, it usually doesn’t even matter how long I’ve slept. It’s a constant thing I can't manage to get rid of.

Why: I actually don’t know why this is, could be genetic. Either way, I'm looking for a cosmetic fix.

20.  I hate using the bathrooms in public as there’s no way of knowing how clean they are, and they usually aren’t.

Why: Retail/restaurant employees don’t prioritize bathroom clean up, and I imagine don’t have a regular check.



Reflection: This assignment was very difficult for me, I’m wasn’t even aware of most of these issues until after the issue occurred, it was more of an afterthought for me. For me, finding the issues wasn’t the hard part, but understanding why these issues exist was challenging. For a lot of these, maybe 20%, I actually don’t know for sure why these issues exist, a lot of the “whys” exist because there’s just no developed/cheap alternative to the current version of the product, I also realize now I wrote a lot about organizations, instead of products- like the media and school system. I think a lot of these issues have fixes too, a lot of them involving developing a cheaper / more competitive alternative to the current version of what we have.

Comments

Popular Posts