4A Forming an Opportunity Belief.
My belief is that the media in its current form isn’t sustainable.
The purpose of good media is to be an unbiased producer of relevant content and
to provide relevant context. The unmet need is an unbiased, relevant, and
simplified version of the media. The individuals who have the need are
primarily young (15-24) and relatively uneducated. This need isn’t new, but
increasingly especially in the context of politics. To meet these needs now,
people are referring to newsletters such as Theskimm and Morning Brew to get a
form of media that’s both entertaining and relatively unbiased. I’m about 60% sure
this opportunity exists.
The prototypical customer is an individual without strong
partisan affiliation. They are young (age 15-24), American, and have a demand
for news they can digest easily and trust.
Interview 1: Kristin Bausch.
Q1: What is the exact nature of the need for a new version of the
media?
A:
“The media we have today represents larger corporations, they serve as the face
of these companies so these companies often have incentives to promote a
certain agenda. This sort of affiliation means that the news is a business not
a public good.
Q2:
When do you become aware of this need?
A:
for me, it was the 2016 election when Trump pushed the narrative of the “fake
news”. That really stuck with Americans and has a lot of people not trusting
the media. I became aware when I noticed everyone around me hated the news media.”
Q3:
do you experience this need all the time or only sometimes?
A:
I would say all the time, there's never a time where we should accept to go
without informing ourselves so yeah, read the news every day.
Q4:
How are you currently addressing your need for a modern media company
A:
truthfully I settle for whatever article looks interesting to me, I don’t
really actively seek out alternatives. Sometimes I’ll avoid reading articles
from certain publishers though.
Q5:
Are you satisfied with that?
A:
Honestly, no. I think it’d be better if we had like a government-sponsored
version of the media without incentives to promote an agenda. But that’s probably
flawed too so I don’t really know how to fix it.
Interview
2: Garrett Kost
Q1: What is the exact nature of the need for a new version of the
media?
I
don’t really read the news all that much, unless it's from twitter or Instagram or
just people are talking about it. When I watch the news or like read it on my
news app it just doesn’t appeal to me. Especially stuff about politics, I read
an article but don’t really understand it all.
Q2:
When do you become aware of this need?
Probably
when the impeachment case started with Trump, I wanted to know more than what I
saw on twitter so I did a google search and couldn’t find anything really
useful
Q3:
do you experience this need all the time or only sometimes?
Just
sometimes for me, only when stuff is happening that I can't understand or see on
twitter.
Q4:
How are you currently addressing your need for a modern media company
I
think a lot of people in our generation get their news from other people on
social media and I do that too. Most of what I consume as news comes from trending
hashtags on twitter honestly
Q5:
Are you satisfied with that?
For
me it is fine, I’d honestly like to know more but I don’t have a need to do so
right now.
Interview
#3, Alicia King
Q1: What is the exact nature of the need for a new version of the
media?
The
media is really biased the way It is right now and honestly most people just
want objective facts not the opinion of the news corporation that’s presenting
them. So I’d say the nature is structural.
Q2:
When do you become aware of this need?
I
feel like I’ve always sort of been aware of this need. The news isn’t doing a
great job at journalism. They’re running a company not a newsroom and that
really has always been clear. But I feel like more so in recent years, like
people trust the news they read and hear less and less each day.
Q3:
do you experience this need all the time or only sometimes?
This
is a need I experience all the time. I read the news every day so I want
accurate and objective news. Sometimes that’s hard to find.
Q4:
How are you currently addressing your need for a modern media company
I
currently read like CNN, FOX, BBC, MSNBC but really have no allegiance to any
sort of media outlet. I especially like CNN though so that’s how I address the
need I suppose.
Q5:
Are you satisfied with that?
Its
ok, I’d definitely be supportive of a movement to create better journalist,
because I know what I have isn’t perfect but there’s drastic room for
improvement.
Reflection:
In conclusion, these interviews helped me really understand how
unique each of these students saw the news. I had a lot of personal opinions
on this topic, but not all the ideas the student had lined up with mine. Honestly, a
lot of the interviews I got helped both structures the problem better and pick at
the roots of it. Kristin mentioned in her interview that the Media was running as
a business and Alicia said the same thing, leaving me to think a lot of people
have a severe distrust in the media because of this. In the future I’d like to do
more sampling, to get a bigger and more accurate idea of what students need in journalism.
Summary:
My original opportunity definitively exists but has changed a
bit, now that I better understand the root of the issue isn’t just
these media outlets, its how the whole industry is structured. I think my
opportunity is more accurate now too, everyone I talked to had an issue with
the media in some way or another, which means it's failing to serve its purpose.
Entrepreneurs should adapt their entire opportunity based on customer feedback
so long as it's overwhelming. The market is driven by demand so having an understanding
of what that demand looks like is pivotal.
Hello Ty,
ReplyDeleteI agree with some aspects about how media these days are not that unbiased. It is suppose to be unbiased because it should be delivering facts not opinions. Even though you listed what the prototypical customers are, I wish you further identified each person such as their age and what type of character they are in order for me to fully understand. However, I like how you gather the perspective, as some people are already satisfied and not satisfied. This opinion will allow you to see if you should go further into the opportunity or not, and I can see how your summary is wavering back and forth, which is a great thing!
Hi Ty!
ReplyDeleteYou did really great job! Each of your interviews is wonderful. I feel deeply when it comes to distrust of the media. Take my own example. Whenever I want to search for more accurate and objective news reports, I find that the reports of large companies are basically similar. Instead, you can see different descriptions in some small social media. But not many people paid attention to investigate the authenticity.